After my first attempt at making a shrug went horribly awry, I decided to try the other pattern I’d purchased instead. Sadly, this one fared only a little better and it’s turned out far too small. I had an inkling it wouldn’t come out right – I couldn’t get the guage to match up no matter which hook I used. It was either right widthways and wrong lengthways or vice versa, so in the end I just decided to take the plunge. I knew the back was too small, so I upped the number of trebles (US dc) in hope of fixing it, but the sleeves aren’t quite right, and I can’t get the thing over my nearly non-existent bosom. I’m not going to bother finishing it as I don’t think the extra rows will help. I should have gone with a larger hook. Buggeration.
I’m just glad I used cheapo acrylic as I’m obviously destined to cock this up a few more times yet. I may try a different pattern first, as I’m itching to have a go with one of my new jumbo hooks, but I should probably stick with this one now that I’ve at least got a faint idea of what I’m supposed to do. Then I might treat myself to some decent wool.
Oh, and for some reason, even though I’m sure I read the pattern correctly, I had a larger space on left side than the right side. No idea how that happened, but maybe I’ll suss it out on attempt number two.
PS. I have recently acquired a stinking cold, so now I’m feeling doubly sorry for myself. Maybe I branched out from granny squares a bit before I was ready…
You can see what it actually should look like here.